| Lisa McWilliams
Welcome to my website, I’m Lisa McWilliams and I own and run CBD Supermarket. I started the business after becoming a convert to the health and nutritional benefits I, and my family, have found from using CBD oil products. The team here at CBD Supermarket are all passionate about what they do; we all have a commitment to ensure we are transparent in the information we give everyone that browses and shops on our site, and that every email enquiry about the benefits of our products, recommended dosage, which presentation would best suit an individual etc is answered personally and honestly.
Every day I receive lots of enquiries from people that want to try CBD, (aka cannabidiol) oil, or customers already using our products that need more information; so I thought I would try and answer some of the most common questions to see if this can go some way to helping you make informed choices about how and when to use CBD based products - if there is something you want to know that is not covered here, then please do drop me a line at email@example.com
What can CBD be used for?
CBD oil is a completely safe to use to provide relief from a wide range of physical and mental health issues. Products containing CBD oil have been found to have the following benefits for people that want a natural way to reduce unwanted symptoms so they can get on living the life they want.
- Pain relief- found to be effective for reducing chronic pain experienced with arthritis, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, endometriosis, and sports injuries.
- Anti-inflammatory- joint pain and stiffness, acne, and muscle fatigue, are reduced by the healing properties of CBD.
- Avoid or reducing withdrawal symptoms- widely used to help maintain equilibrium when reducing or stopping using alcohol, tobacco, opioids, and other prescribed, or non-prescription substances. CBD helps to curb cravings, reduce anxiety, mood swings, pain, and insomnia- putting the user back in control.
- Cancer treatment relief- there is a little evidence to suggest CBD is the next cure for cancer- if only that were true, however, what CBD oil products can do is be safely used alongside licensed pharmaceutical products to decrease the effects of aggressive treatments and promote feelings of physical and mental wellbeing. CBD can reduce nausea and fatigue, provide welcome relief from anxiety and cycles of negative thinking, relief from pain, and promote calmness, relaxation, and reduce insomnia. We would urge you to discuss your use of CBD products with your oncologist to get the best guidance for your personal needs.
- Reducing anxiety- CBD containing products are widely and safely used to reduce the exhausting and debilitating impact of living with an anxiety disorder and have been found to promote physical and psychological relief. CBD has been found to offer calmness and feelings of wellbeing to sufferers of PTSD, general anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, OCD, and chronic episodic anxiety following life crisis such as bereavement, or following unfavourable medical diagnoses etc. The use of CBD products combined with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has been found to be particularly beneficial for individuals that have been unresponsive to ‘talking’ therapies in the past.
There is a widespread belief that the use of cannabis products is harmful for people experiencing anxiety and other mental health issues due to the paranoia ‘weed’ can cause, this is not the case with CBD.
CBD is produced from cannabis plants, but it does not contain THC; THC is the psychoactive element in cannabis that give users a ‘high’. THC is not legal to buy or use in the UK as it has no benefits as a nutritional supplement or for positive wellbeing.
- Improvement of skin disorders and complaints- the nutritional, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties of CBD products offer relief to acne vulgaris, spots and pimples, fungal and yeast infections, psoriasis, eczema, allergen break out (but not including anaphylaxis), dermatitis, flaky or dry skin, cracked skin after manual work, or as a calming everyday moisturiser to keep skin healthy and strong.
This list is not exhaustive, but a glimpse at the versatility of incorporating CBD oil products safely into your life. To discuss which product would suit you the best, do get in touch with us, we will do all we can to offer guidance and support during your CBD journey.
Is CBD legal?
Products containing CBD are legal to sell and buy in the UK as long as the THC level (that’s the psychoactive ingredient) is below 0.2% calculated by dry weight. The CBD oil must have been extracted from EU approved industrial hemp strains- these are government approved plant species that ensure the oils extracted do not contain any unwanted tetrahydrocannabinols- to find out more about the legislation surrounding the safe use and production of CBD please check out our article ‘The legal position of CBD in the UK’
What is the difference between hemp, Marijuana, and Cannabis?
CBD, (also referred to as Cannabidiol or Cannabinoid) is extracted from cannabis plants. There are three main species of cannabis plant, Cannabis Sativa, Cannabis Indica and Cannabis Ruderalis. All of these Cannabis species belong to a genus of plant belonging to the Cannabaceae family. Cannabis is often referred to as Hemp or Marijuana, although neither of these monikers are authentic plant names, they are widely used throughout our society to refer to different varieties of cannabis.
The name ‘Hemp’ is used to define varieties of cannabis that contain up to 0.3% THC (by dry weight) and ‘Marijuana’ or ‘Cannabis’ are used to define plant varieties that contain in excess of 0.3% THC (by dry weight).
Can I get CBD on prescription?
At the moment CBD oil products are not generally available on prescription- the exceptions to this are Nabiximol and Epidyolex.
The licensed drug Nabiximol (most commonly known as Sativex™), this was the first cannabis-based medicine to be made available on prescription in the UK. Sativex™ contains 2.7 mg THC and 2.5 mg CBD and is approved in the UK to help alleviate the many debilitating symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. GW Pharmaceuticals and their US subsidiary ‘Greenwich Biosciences’ are the ‘cannaboid therapeutic’ company responsible for the creation of Sativex and Epidiolex used to treat patients with the most challenging forms of epilepsy, LGS and Dravet Syndrome. In 2018 the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) approved Epidiolex to be available on prescription in the USA and from January 2020 Epidyolex (the European Commission granted trade name of Epidiolex) is available on prescription in England.
How can I take CBD?
Products containing CBD oil are available as capsules, tinctures, edibles, e-liquid, cream, balm, oil, drops, tablets, and crystals. The range of presentation is so wide because people will have a preference for how they wish to take it internally, and for external / topical use a range of creams, oils, and balms ensure you can use the one that suits you and your needs best.
How strong is CBD, how much do I need?
CBD products come in a range of strengths so you can use the strength that best suits you and your needs.
Our oils are sold in dropper bottles and vary in concentration- the label will show the percentage of CBD oil in the bottle, and the total CBD content in the bottle as an amount in mg; for example, you can buy a 10 ml size bottle of drops for oral use that contains a 25% concentration that totals 2500 mg of CBD (in the whole bottle), or you could buy a same size 10ml bottle which has a 2.5% concentration that totals 250mg of CBD (in the whole bottle). Our 55 ml jars of CBD balm for topical use is available in a choice of 3 strengths that contain a total of 250mg, 500 mg, and 1000mg of CBD.
All this mg and % information may seem baffling, and I’m sorry if it has confused you- to make it a little easier, the most usual dosage is to simply place 2 or 3 drops of oil under the tongue, and after a couple of minutes swallow the drops- this can be repeated 2 to 3 times per day. One of the great benefits of using CBD, you can tailor it exactly to your needs- even on a day by day basis.
There is no RDA (recommended daily allowance), nor is there a universal dose; the amount you will need will vary on your own tolerance of CBD oils, your metabolism, and your own pain and discomfort thresholds.
The following amounts were published1 back in 2012 as guideline for possible therapeutic dosage for a number of illnesses- these are only for guidance, we always recommend starting with a small dose to allow you to get used to the product and see the effects, then building up dosage as required or desired.
Chronic Pain: 2.5-20mg of CBD (orally).
Epilepsy: 200-300mg of CBD (orally) daily.
Movement Problems Due to Huntington’s Disease: 10mg of CBD per kg of body weight daily for six weeks (orally).
Sleep Disorders: 40mg-160mg of CBD (orally).
Schizophrenia: 40-1,280mg oral CBD daily.
Glaucoma: A single sublingual CBD dosage of 20-40mg.
How much is safe?
All our products are all ethically and responsibly sourced so we can assure you that our products only contain safe ingredients from reputable manufacturers. For oral use, follow the dosage recommendations on the product, or start at a low dose and gradually building this up if necessary until you get the desired relief from your symptoms. For topical use, there is no maximum or minimum amount to use, this is guided by your skin’s own absorbing abilities - dry skin will absorb the product thirstily, whereas more hydrated skin will be less absorbent.
CBD is well tolerated physically and mentally by people that use it and it has a really good safety profile; it has no record of users developing addictive behaviours or dependence issues, even when it is being used to reduce the physical and psychological effects of illicit substance withdrawal.
It is not possible to overdose on CBD, although if this accidentally happened and an excessive amount was ingested, the worst affect would be an upset stomach, tiredness, and loss of appetite. Although, with any accidental or intentional overdose it is always prudent to seek medical advice- if you are unable to do this face to face, the NHS helpline can provide guidance on their phone helpline, just call 111.
I hope this information has helped to answer some of your questions or concerns, but we are committed to giving you a completely personalised service so you only buy what you need and what you want- so please do reach out to us for help, guidance, or more information- we want your CBD journey to be of value to you and your well-being.
Lisa and the CBD Supermarket team.